We have already talked before about our favorite pendants but now we’ll try explaining how the lighting system actually works… At least from the interior designer’s point of view.
First of all, not all the lighting is the same. Lighting products are classified by their specific role in a home. This is why we can distinguish:
– lighting that simply illuminates the room,
– lighting with a specific task (which, for instance, helps our kids do their homework),
– ambiance lighting to set the mood in a room.
Of course, all these roles are being played in a certain way. This is why no designer will put a reading lamp on the ceiling, or set the mood by using a LED bulb. Yet, these are just simple examples.
There are no cons for hiring a professional to help you with lighting solutions, while pros are plenty. Every client needs a custom designed lighting map of his or hers home and this is how it works:
1. Putting a statement pendant in an entrance hall (whether on a wall or a cabinet) is an unusual, yet welcome choice. This is how you introduce yourself as a host, and if you want your guests to feel at home the very first moment they arrive, this is the right move to make. If space is limited, a full lighting system is recommended.
2. A kitchen is a place where the lighting should be the most accessible and noticeable. This is the one room where most of the work is being done, even if you yourself do not cook. The kitchen area should be covered with a few ceiling pendants. Supplementary lighting could be added underneath the cupboards and other accessories. If you have a kitchen island, be sure to light it up separately.
3. Things are a bit different in a dining room, one of the central areas of every home where the aesthetics play the important role. Here, implementing dimmer switches is a recommended choice, while the diner pendants set above the table are usually the most appealing.
4. Lighting a living room is a complex task and should not be taken… well, lightly. The living room is a place where people spend most of their time, usually together as friends or a family. Also, this is the most common entertainment zone where people come to relax, read and watch TV. These are all the reasons why this room needs at least one dim light and other smaller pendants put at different spots. This is how users could choose the right one based on their chosen activity.
5. Although it might seem appealing to put small light bulbs around the toilet mirror, professionals agree that the ceiling lighting is actually the best choice for a bathroom. This should also be one of the brightest rooms in a home, which implies strong lighting and suitable lamps.
6. In some households, a home office is a crucial room for at least one family member and its main feature is, of course, the working table. This is why portable table and floor lamps are highly recommended. The light should be pleasant, not too strong, while the lamp itself should be resistant to moving around as well as constant switching on and off… Well, you know how one workday goes…
Lighting is just one more way to emphasize your personality. Choosing smart lighting design can make your everyday life much easier. All it takes is deciding on the most suitable lighting solution where all the little details play an important role, even a simple light bulb.
At Salt & Water, we are ready to help you with all this and more. Together with our professional collaborators, we are able to design a custom lighting map for your home which will intertwine with your home interior in the most suitable way. Together with experienced handymen, we can create a custom-made design to suit your habits and needs.
All that is left for you to do is to put the switch on.